The prerequisite is to have SQL Server Express and the IIS feature activated on your Windows 7 environment.
Here are the steps that I recomended to my students:
- Download DNN from http://dotnetnuke.codeplex.com/releases/view/44102 and install it in a directory like c:\DotNetNuke
- Copy "release.config" to "web.config" in the root directory of DNN
- In IIS 7 add a "New Application" under the "Default Web Site" pointing to the location where DNN was installed (like c:\DotNetNuke).
- Create a new application pool named "dnn" in IIS 7. Changed "Load user profile" property to "False" by clicking on the "Advanced Settings" link of the "dnn" application pool.
- Set the application pool for your "Default Web Site" to "dnn" by clicking on the "Basic Settings" link
- Give the physical directory of your site (I.E. c:\DotNetNuke) full access permission to account "IIS AppPool\dnn"
- Point your browser to http://localhost/DotNetNuke. If all goes well you will enter the DNN configuration wizard.